I was recently tasked with needing to create a custom subscription form for a website using Campaign Monitor. When it came time to track down the list ID, I was at a loss. The client is listed under “Clients sending themselves” in the main account and I also couldn’t easily find the API key (which is different from the main account).
Don’t be confused when clicking on a list or hovering, the ID in the URL isn’t the same as the List ID that you need to access the list via the API.
Where to find API Key for “Clients sending themselves”
- Click the client you want to manage under the “Clients sending themselves” heading
- On the right hand side you should see a tab that says, “Client Settings” and then click it
- You should then be on the client settings page and see the client name in bold, dark text with an edit button beside it
- Click the edit button and a popup should display with name and address fields
- In the bottom right hand corner of this popup you’ll see a tiny link that says, “Show client’s API Info”
- Clicking this link will show the API key for this particular client to use in your apps
Where to find the list ID for a particular list
- Find the “Lists & Subscribers” tab which should be to the right of the “Create Send” tab and click it
- You should now see a list of one or more lists if you’ve created any
- Click on the particular list you want to get the list ID for and you’ll be presented with a fancy chart and some email address
- Above the fancy chart visual you’ll see the name of the list and a link that says, “(change name/type)”
- Click on this and you’ll be taken to the edit page for this list
- Right at the bottom of this edit screen you’ll see a heading that says, “API Subscriber List ID” and the list ID value to use for the API is beneath it