GitKraken “Could not find a compatible repository” Error Fix
I recently encountered an error in GitKraken after a bad merge occurred when trying to merge in some changes from the main development branch, whilst I had quite a few local changes that GitKraken usually automatically stashes for me.
My problem was I was using Bash Ubuntu on Windows, which has a nasty habit of locking files. The merge and stashing seemed to fail because in the changes I was attempting to merge in, some files were deleted.
I tried closing and reopening GitKraken, but it was clear that GitKraken wasn’t going to let me open up that repo again.
I realise this is a bit of a nuclear fix, but you’ll need to open up PowerShell to fix this. For me, it was simply a matter of navigating to the project directory and running:
git reset --hard however, if you need changes, your repo will be interactable just fine on the command line.
As far as I could see with everything I tried, GitKraken won’t ever fix itself, the command line is the only solution. The above, once I ran it and opened up GitKraken it worked just fine again as nothing had happened.