Sneak Peak: Aurelia Markdown Editor

As many of you know, I have been working on an in-progress book on Aurelia titled Aurelia For Real World Applications for quite a while now. Good news! the book is finally nearing its release and I’ve actually started working on the example applications chapter (amongst the others still in progress). This is probably the … 

 

Code Splitting Your Aurelia Webpack Applications

Newly released under a release candidate (I’ll update this when it’s out of RC), is better support for Webpack in Aurelia. We won’t be detailing how to setup a new Webpack application, but how you can leverage code splitting to reduce the size of your application. If you would like to know how to create … 

 

Creating a Minimal Aurelia TypeScript & Webpack Application From Scratch

Today we are going to be creating a Webpack based Aurelia application from scratch. We will be leveraging the newly released Webpack capabilities for this tutorial. Until such time that the Aurelia CLI allows us to build customisable Webpack builds from scratch, we will be doing it manually. A great opportunity to familiarise yourself with … 

 

Dealing With Tslint Errors/Warnings In Third Party Files

This might be a bit of an edge case for some, but recently I needed to use a third-party script in my Aurelia TypeScript application that wasn’t installable through Npm. I could have carefully changed it to conform to my TSLint guidelines, but that would have been more effort than I wanted to spend. I … 

 

Polyfilling Promises Using Bluebird in Webpack 2

Surprisingly, whilst determining the best way to polyfill promises in a Webpack build and using Bluebird I came across such mixed results. A lot of the posts out there don’t mention Bluebird at all, opting for es6-promise when it has been proven Bluebird has such great performance, it’s even faster than native promises in some … 

 

Yarn Slow In Windows? Disable Windows Defender

I switched to Yarn a while ago, because Npm is incredibly limited. And while I enjoy fast speed on macOs and Linux, Windows has always been a bit slow. I never actually thought to investigate the issue until one frustrated evening, I had the task manager open and noticed Windows Defender was going crazy when … 

 

January Side Project #2: tempfile.cloud

I know, I said another side project would be coming in February, but I have created another quick little Aurelia side project for January. Introducing tempfile.cloud a temporary file storage service using Aurelia, Node.js and Amazon S3. I find most free temporary file services are horrible, the limits are too small and they’re littered with … 

 

January Side Project: Namemyband.net

I’ve made it a kind of New Years Resolution to build little silly, niche apps in 2017 and onwards. And doing what I said I would do, I have built something silly for January. My first app is a band name generator called namemyband.net. The premise is simple, you get a random band name. If … 

 

Removing ads and starting a Patreon page

Ads have never sat well with me. For a while I have had them on this blog, because it gets a lot of traffic. However, inspired by Troy Hunt, I have decided to remove the Google ads and instead start a Patreon page where anyone can pay a monthly amount to “sponsor” me. By no … 

 

Migrating Servers

Update:┬áSite is operational and working again. The last couple of months this blog has grown tremendously. Even though I have caching and other performance tweaks in place, the server my site runs on is surprisingly barebones. The traffic to this blog is around 100k visitors per month, the single core CPU just wasn’t cutting it …